Friday, December 12, 2008

I hate this weather!!!

Everyone knows that Canada's cold. Today, in Ottawa it's 22f, in Toronto it's 21, in most of the other provinces, it's between 5-35f if they're near sea level.

But here...it's -9f at noon!. With new snow. I didn't even think it COULD snow much when temps are near 0F. But I've been proven wrong. I went to get a haircut this morning in prep for my California Xmas. Just driving to the mall was brutal. I forgot to warm the car up for 10 minutes before getting in. My hands are falling off and I almost wet myself.

WHY DON'T CANADIANS HAVE GARAGES???? It's not new technology. They have them in the US all over, even in those dumpy fixer uppers. Here, only the elite owners of new homes have them. There absence makes for dangerous visibility due to excessive ice that is all but unscapable in the 0 to -40 range.

To make matters worse, I forgot to unplug my block warmer (if you have to ask, you're very, very lucky) and drove off with an extent ion chord flailing from my hood. When I got home I couldn't plug the heater in because my hands were too cold.

So help me, on my non-teaching days, I'm going to wrap myself in an electric blanket, unplug the phone and hibernate. Here, it's not being a couch potato, it's survival.

2 comments:

Bert said...

Ron,

what is a block warmer... :-) Just kidding. The only place I know in the US without garages is Manhattan. I never knew they were rare in Canada. Go figure.

Unknown said...

Hey Ron,

Gregory (Pudov) visiting your blog again. Been awhile since I stopped in but was happy to see the pic there at the top of all the snow (reminded me of the part of my childhood that I spent up in Thunder Bay) and this entry also brings back a flood of memories as well. Remember having to factor in time to get the car up and running, the ice/snow scraped off before going somewhere. Not sure why we don't have many garages but seemed like people had them in my hometown down in Tillsonburg. Anyway, hope the vacation down in California is a great one for you.

Gregory