Sunday, August 31, 2008

Too Early To Taper

I'd like to start my taper right now. June, July and August add up to nearly 800 miles on these tired legs. I'm four weeks out and my knees and assorted muscles need some rest. So, one more week of regular training, one more 20-miler, then a 25% cut down, including more rest days, will begin.
I don't like this point--4 weeks out. The accumulated training has me feeling beat-up, yet it's really too early to taper. But I will start to make my easy days a little easier so that my last long run next Saturday will feel better than last week's. When I lived in Minneapolis, this was a great time to race and see the fruits of training. But...there are no races here, so I'll plug away this week, then start counting down the days.

2 comments:

go annie said...

Hey Ronster, you're almost there! These next few weeks will fly by before you know it and you'll enter into the "taper zone".

The course elevation looks really flat. Your training is going to pay off and you'll do AWESOME! Can't wait for the race report.

Bert said...

A 3-week taper sounds about right, but it wouldn't hurt to reduce mileage (not effort) by 10% four weeks out, especially considering that you have been at it for quite a while. Either way, you'll do great!