Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Last Long Run

On Saturday I'll get out there and run my last run of 20 miles. The last three months, I'll have had 6 of 20-plus and another 4 of 17-plus. I've done very little intense speedwork, just 4-8 mpw at faster than marathon pace, and only one race.

There have been marathons where I did a lot more speedwork, and marathons where I had more long runs (10 runs of 20 miles or more last time)but none where I had as high a total mileage building up, plus several long runs plus some speedwork. I've had two weak marathons when I had several long runs that were also fast(7:00/pace), but I trained at only around 45-50mpw. My two best marathons were supported by 4-6 20-milers.

So one more 20-miler should be enough, combined with the 60-plus mpw training to have a strong endurance base. The speed is going to have to take care of itself; I've been slightly hurt a lot and decided to forgo half of the normal speedwork. At this point, I don't care about my 10K speed as much as my finishing speed after 20 miles. But after this weekend I'll have to let my body heal and strengthen during the final three weeks.

But the long runs are nice in the sense that you get to pamper yourself afterwards. I like the refueling part of those Saturdays. Then again, there's something to be said for feeling no soreness. I still have a rough time taking an off day. But I'll work some in...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ronster,

Just checking in to day "Hi" and glad to read about your long runs being done. Way to go on that. It also serves as motivation for me as I have 4 long ones this month as per the marathon class schedule so I'll think of you as I'm out there slogging the miles.

Also hope the house is coming along and you are meeting those nice Timmons' neighbours! :-)

Gregory (Pudov)