Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I've been back outside running for the last few days, thinking about the past two years of running and it's role in my life.

In short, I believe I've been wrecking my body and spirit by training too much for the marathon. Ever since the fall of 2003, when I ran 3:13 in my second Twin Cities Marathon, I've thought the sub-three was a sure thing. Then I missed a few years of competing, and 5 years later, here I am, with a bad back, knee troubles and a stale attitude. A lot of "what's the point?" self-talk.

When health-care people ask questions about my habits, I'll tell them I run a lot. But that doesn't tell the ugly truth. To most people, 5 days a week at 3-5 miles would be a lot. 7 days a week at 60-plus/a week on chronically sore legs is battering me down. The long runs, speed-workouts and trails are painful. But I need the long runs; I need to run fast sometimes, and trails are fun for most runners. The marathon IS a long, hopefully sort of fast run, after all.

But, I think I'm going to let the marathoning slide after this year. If I run one, it will be more fun and less punishing than the last few years have been. I like half-marathons, and will focus more on them for now.

I may run the full next month, but I shouldn't train this way in future years. For the last two weeks, I've felt like I have some grave disease. Doctors are talking about all the modes of treatment: drugs, massage, PT and surgery. Yet I know with 95%certainty that some extended rest and a lighter training load would be the best remedy for what ails me.

I love running, but I used to feel better and healthier for doing it. Not any longer.

I'll keep running and racing. But my legs are telling me not to run the same way any longer. They've been telling me for two years. I hope I listen this time, but I've been deaf to the messages in the past. So...I might wind up writing the same thing next year.

3 comments:

Bert said...

Ron,

Sorry to hear that you are going through a tough time. I'm having a forced lay-off from running because of a stupid non-running (knee) accident, which has put me in a reflective mood as well. All I can offer is personal experience. A few years ago I experienced a classic over-training episode with chronic sore legs, screwed up heart rate & compromised nervous system. After a lengthy layoff I came back but with MUCH more cross-training (I rotate through rowing, flexbands, weights, two different ab workouts). I've gotten much stronger all-round and without running nearly as much as before (rarely over 40 miles per week) I am faster than I was years ago. I am convinced that the other exercises are helping to protect me from running-induced injuries such as overly tight hamstrings etc.

Keep it in mind.

go annie said...

Ron,

I think that's a good strategy to take it easy for awhile and maybe focus on the shorter distances. You really never know what can happen in the next months or years. You may be back at it, but approaching it in a different way.

I need to cross-train more and get some of my endurance from some other low-impact activities. Hey, do you want to maybe do a tri? I've been thinking about borrowing one of my friend's bike and testing out the wheels. I'll send you one of those endless pools, so we can start swimming laps :)

Ron said...

The both of you are right...I need more all-around training for strength and endurance Perhaps tri IS the way to go. It's hard to swim up here--I think there're maybe three pools in all of Timmins. But there are tri athletes in the area.
Go ahead Annie--send the pool!