Wednesday, October 8, 2008

2008 Season RIP

I won't be racing any more in 2008. It's discouraging. But I went for it and failed. I trained 2,000 mostly painful miles in the first eight months of the year... I should have had my back treated. Rather, I ran on legs that were connected to a badly alligned body, and paid the price. I went in to this year with the mantra of ONE MORE SEASON.


Willing to beat myself up to be in race shape, I ran lots of miles and became lighter than I've been since I was 13, to get near three hours in the marathon. But it's a no-go.

After this year, I wanted decide where to take my running. But something was wrong from the start. I was sore, slow to recover, and in constant fear that the minor pains in my IT band, periformis, shin, and most of all, knee, would intensify and sideline me. I wasn't enjoying my running.

But the first week of my taper, my back pain turned serious, replete with spasms and shooting pain when sitting(which I do a lot of)and a frame that looked cubist in the mirror; dislocated, curved and a little scary. I finally whent to my doctor; he was agahst. From that point on, I knew my chances of running any more races this year were remote.

So it's been a month of anti-everything meds, Physio, getting MRIs and X-rays; I'm trying to keep my chin up through this. But I fought the law of nature by running hurt and running too much. The jury's in. The law won.

5 comments:

Alexandra said...

I feel bad for you! I don't know what to say so here's a big hug! HUG!!!

Bert said...

Ron, hi

So sorry to hear that you are hurting, I hope it gets better really soon!

tww1980 said...

Hey Ron......Terry here....decided to stop by and glad I did.....I knew you had been taking some tough hits in running but did not know how much.....some of the things you are dealing with are things that have knocked me around of late....piriformis the main issue....you need to hold strong....like me.....you are a veteran runner and we are about the same age...I think it is wise for you to not race for a time.....get the joy back in your running without feeling like you have to do speed work or go long....I think this is a transition for you.......I think the main culprit is the high mileage and the speed work....your body will come around......earlier this year I was being hit hard also......you know me Mr. streak......the hammies were so bad...one I am sure I even pulled.....I trudged through a 9 miler at close to 9:oo pace and the next day was just about the first off day in 6 years....I did 2 miles though and then aftee that a very slow 4 and then 5 and so on.....I am sure I did myself no favors running a 3:21 marathon in January coming off a 4,184 mile year in 2007 and the week after my marathon I did a 100 mile week......stupid and it just about brought my 47 year old slef down by April.....long story short......I feel better now then I have in 3 or 4 years and I will likely hit more than 4,000 mile again in 2008.....but I have resolved to bring the mileage down in 2009...for me that will be from 3,000-3,700 miles......but I am feeling like I can better that 3:21 in 2009....just me thinking that is a far cry form my thoughts in April.....you have an excellent marathon PR.....you do not have to go down to 3 but after you heal you may find yourself more ready in all areas to do it.....but first....bring back that joy of running ad the rest will follow.

GB said...

Ron, I had no idea. :( I know how you're feeling, more than you know. I'm also on the verge of calling it a season, and I haven't even run my fall marathon yet. Saw the sports doc today and the initial prognosis is not good, but still awaiting the MRI and then the results. Basically it looks like I have a torn posterior tibialis tendon.

Hang in there, Ron. I hope you get healthy soon and when you do I hope that running becomes the enjoyable activity it once was.

Wish I could hug ya!

Ron said...

Thanks wavemaker, Terry, Bert and GB!

I guess we all need the mental as well as physical recovery once in a while. You guys are really inspirational!