Thursday, October 30, 2008

Better or not?

As a runner, I've often asked myself precisely that question when injured. I've been running around 30mpw for the past couple of weeks, but my legs don't feel much different from how they were a month ago.

Should I take some time off? Sure. But not running is hard for me since I don't have exercise equipment here other than a treadmill. It's too cold for biking, and walking doesn't seem any easier on my body than running at an easy pace. So I plod along at 8:30 pace on the treadmill, speeding up the last couple of miles, but never going really fast.

What I AM doing is strengthening the back and shoulders. I do a lot of new exercises. Also one of the oldest: I'm up to 50 push-ups at a time. It reminds me of my years at AE Wright Middle School. We used to do so many push-ups during PE class, they became second nature. But now, they're a new challenge. Marathoning can really weaken other non-running parts of the body. It's part of why I'm losing interest in running them: I want to be more fit, not the walking wounded.

2 comments:

GB said...

Push ups are good for everybody!!! Keep doing them.

Well, looks like I'm taking 5 weeks away from ANY running and cross training like a fiend. Then I'm going to attempt the marathon on Dec. 7 and just go with how my body feels that day.

I have a lot of good marathon fitness right now and hate to waste it... so that is the plan. Cross train, give my foot/ankle the rest and recovery it needs, and then give that fall marathon a shot before a few weeks winter break.

For now, do your best to enjoy those easy miles. :)

Ron said...

Good luck, GB

I've always admired your spirit. Many of us are hoping you can be another Joan Benoit and smoke the marathon without running much the last month!