Wednesday, May 7, 2008

DOMS after a half marathon?

Well, it's 72 hours later and I'm only now able to jog a few miles. I need to be careful what I ask for. After the race, I said to Mrs. Ronster I won't be as disappointed in my 1:30 time if I have DOMS; that would suggest my treadmill training and three 10-12 milers outside didn't cut it for preparation. It's easier to accept a slower than expected performance if you're certain that you're undertrained for the event.

I've only had DOMS after marathons with one exception, and that exception a HM where I was way undertrained. This time, I had miles in--that wasn't the problem. I just needed more outdoor runs of longer than 10 miles. A month from now I should be going 15-18 miles on Saturdays, which would make a HM a less traumatic experience.

But for today...3 miles at 10/min pace.

1 comment:

rundangerously said...

ron,

i get doms after a hard effort (usually race) at long distance. the plus side, if there is one, is i can get in a decent effort the very next day.