Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The long run and the tempo runs are two of the indispensable parts to any marathoner's training routine. When you race weekly, you can easily afford to dispense with the tempo training. After all, your body's at lactate threshold or faster for a sizable chunk of any race.

Today, I did my first tempo run since my race 16 days ago. I tend to overheat on the treadmill so I keep it to 18-22 minutes at tempo pace. But I know precisely how fast I'm going and how hard I'm working. It feels good to get in an extended high-speed run(up a 1% grade); I feel more race-ready afterwards. But nothing beats a track for that.

Last Saturday, in Ottawa, I ran an 1:40 run, which I'll estimate to be around 12 miles; also my first longish run since the race. I'll try to add a couple miles to that this weekend. At least it'll warm up by then.

No comments: