Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Here's what I wrote on RW forum in December:

How many miles should a marathoner run? 12/07...

This is THE question in competitive marathoning. Notice I didn't say "elite" marathoning." For elites it's always well into triple figures during training cycles. But I believe a healthy runner who wants to race well at the full marathon requires at least 65-75 mpw/average over 16 weeks, with 1-2 faster days and one long day.

But if you are under 35 or so and you can go 80-100mpw, you can't help but race even better.


That's what I said then, but I've seen some crash and burns on heavy mileage (75-100) and have also experienced a lot of pain building up my long runs from 12-19 miles over the last 7 weeks. So at 60mpw, I'm thinking that 65mpw is about my max After that, the speed can go up a bit. I'd like to keep running all year, and too high a peak doesn't feel healthy to me...And 2X a day isn't necessary for that kind of mileage...too many showers!

2 comments:

Bert said...

I have found that for me at least, intensity is more of an indicator/predictor of chronic fatigue, than mileage per se. About 3 years ago I was running around 50 to 60 mpw (I was 52 then), but with several very hard workouts. I was doing 1 day track intervals, 8 mile or so tempo run, sometimes 2 fartlek sessions and a fast long run every week. The result? Classic over-training from which it took me 8+ weeks to recover.

For this coming season I am going to test the 55 to 60 mpw limit again, but with much less intensity; just 2 hard workouts per week, the remainder at easy pace, with just a few miles of MP at the end of long runs. Will see how that pans out.

Good luck with your running.

Ron said...

Yeah...that's classic overtraining. Maybe 1 in 10 50-59 runners can pull all that speed off. I did that one year at 43, and it was fine. But the next year, I got better results with slower, higher volume training. It wasn't my chice: the training on the track resulted in a series of small injuries and I had to adapt. I think you'll do well with this strategy, Bert.