Saturday, June 21, 2008

When I planned this weekend, I said to myself "the hell with the long run." My knee's been hurting, and besides, I'd have 50 miles this week with a 7-miler.

But...I woke up, my legs felt better, and I fit the roads and trails for a spontaneous 12 miler. Only I got lost on the trails and wound up running for over two hours--15 miles--to hit 59mpw and continue my long run streak at 6 weeks. This was to be a fall-back week, and it was, as it turned out. Just not much of one...from 61 miles to 59.5...oh well...next week will have no long run, but rather a 10K race.

To me, the long run of at least two hours is harder on the body than anything else--even speedwork. So I am better served by going 55-65 mpw, with the long run of 18-21 miles being slow and uncompetitive. I go from 8:20 at the start to sub 8:00 later. But I don't do the 7:10-20 pace any longer--it's not necessary with a speed session and high weekly volume...to me, I'm running high volume right now. I wish I could do more, but it's not worth the risk.

I find racing to be a means of getting in super-high quality mileage. But I miss living close to races; it's 4-8 hours each way to all but two local races each year. And after late October, forget it. But I visit my family in California sometimes--I will this Xmas--and it's possible I can sneak in a race.

People around here keep telling me there are bears around, but I've never seen one on a run. Call it a death wish but I WANT TO SEE A BEAR. With all the mines around here, I'm half-convinced it's unsuitable habitat for most wildlife...kind of like Boyle Heights in LA.

For my race next week there are two goals: sub-39:00 and AG victory. It's a small race so both are possible. I need a good time to prove to myself that there's progress being made.

We're going out tonight for some guilt-free gluttony. Oh the beauty of the long run.

And yes, I'm sporting my ankle tan-line with my usual glee.

1 comment:

go annie said...

Good to hear your sporting your tan-line proudly Ron! Do you really want to see a bear? You know, you can always check out your local zoo ;)

Your strategy seems to make a lot of sense on the long runs with the high mileage. Good luck on getting that sub-39 and/or AG win next week!