Friday, November 2, 2007

Inspiring runners

Have I inspired others to run? A good question asked on the RW forum:

By example, I think the numbers are high: my father, mother and a couple of friends and lots of my childhood friends jogged or ran for at least a short while. It would be nice to think I had something to do with that! I've been running since 1971, starting at 11. So other kids would join me as I ran around Lake Calabasas near LA.

As a teacher and coach, students would often see me and tell me they'd like to join me at some time. Sometimes they followed through with it. I never pushed anyone into running, though.

As a marathoner, I'm not sure. Lots of people asked how much weight I lost, I'd tell them, but to my knowledge, no one has run a full marathon inspired by my example.

But I really feel that we all help others get into it simply by being seen running. To me, the sight of another runner anywhere is a sign of hope and grace. Think of how many kids and adults see you on a run. As a kid, I remember asking my mom what those people were doing. She explained that it was healthy. It inspired me, that's for certain.

No comments: