Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Sub 3:00 in 2008?

I've often felt I was deprived of 2.5 years training and running when I taught in Korea. From 7/2004 until 1/2007 I was in an environment not conducive to training. I did OK my first year, getting a 18:32, 39:16, 1:28:57, and 3:12:26 all in Korea. But, I expected faster when I was finished with the 2003 season before I went overseas.


2003 was my first serious year of training and, at 55 mpw I ran a 18:25, 30:06-5 miler; 38:02 10K, 1:26 1/2 Mar and a 2:08 30K as well as a 3:13 Marathon. And I was still improving!
Now, it's 2007 and I've done nothing but a 18:30 5K, and a 3:28 marathon in the last 2 years. Mostly, due to lack of races and injuries this year.


I was in shape to run a strong marathon last month, but decided to skip it and train through until next season rather than risk injury.

We have a treadmill here now and I'm feeling good about my chances to attain some real improvement. Long runs are boring, but tempo runs and VO2 max are soooooo convienient!
Today, for example, I ran 2 miles warm up, 2.5 miles at 6:27 pace, a 1 mile cool down outside, then a 5 mile run this PM at 7:30-8:00. This is training like back in 2003-04 in Minnesota. Even though it's only Nov., it's already sub 32f here. So having a tread might really be advantageous.
I'm now 48 years old and don't have many years of good training left(maybe). So, as I said in 2004, the assault on 3-hours is on!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Ron,

This is Pudov (Gregory) from the RW Masters Forum (you know the guy living and running over here in Korea). Anyway, I did the 10km at the JoongAng Marathon (BTW thanks for your comment) and have now decided on doing my first marathon in the Spring of next year and will register for the Seoul Dong-a Marathon. I see from your results that you ran that race. How did you find the course and the race. Any advice or concerns would be appreciated. I've started Pfiz's 18/55 mile plan this week and usually get in my training early in the morning along the Anyang Stream and Han River.

Good luck with your training and running and with consistent training through the rest of this year and early next year, I'm sure you'll go sub 3!

Thanks, I enjoy your blog.


Gregory