Saturday, February 16, 2008

I have a seven-week string of 50-58 mpw on the treadmill...actually one week it warmed enough to run 16 miles on the slushy streets. Some days are easy, others hillwork, yet others tempo. But nearly every run is around an hour, which approaches my threshold of tolerance on the treadmill.

I've yet to take a rest day in 2008; they really don't seem necessary unless I'm going long, and even then I don't feel much better after taking them. So I'm a bit of a streaker, though travel makes the TWW type of 2,000-day streaks impossible. Also, I don't see how anyone can run the day after a marathon without hurting themselves.

Runner's World Forum on counting warm-up miles:
They should absolutely be counted. In my mind, even the half-mile run to work or the bus should be counted. If you get hurt, lose or gain weight, buy shoes, feel tired or extra fresh, PR or DNF, it's all in the record.

I always say this: recording miles is not solely a running "self-esteem" builder, it's tracking the cause of an effect to be seen later, good or bad.


Work?
I'm still out of work here. But I've got a contact who knows a lot of folks at the college and high schools here and insists she can help get me a teaching post. Fortunately, the DW has a nice job and my work is a suppliment. I've also resumed working on my classical guitar playing. I need new strings!

No comments: