Friday, February 8, 2008

My views on dieting while training...
You will be a better marathoner if you weigh less.
Starvation diets while training are foolish.

But unless you're running way over 60mpw, you should eat when hungry, but not to excess...and avoid fatty foods.
My PR was at a higher weight than some others, but only 5 pounds(and the course and weather were perfect). I was using training as an excuse to eat like a pig--the running had become a crutch.

But your joints will receive less of a jolt if there is less weight on your body. I just cut out a few foods and snacking and dropped 15 pounds(treating an injury) with the same mileage. I still eat a lot.

But again, no starvation...<1000 calories...we need the fuel.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Ron,

Just stopping by to say "Hi". Hope the weather warms up there for you in good ol' Timmions, Ont. Thanks for your comments regarding my injury - appreciate your support. Really hope I can overcome this pain over the next month so I can get to Dong-Ah at least in semi-healthy shape. May have to modify my goals but still am looking forward to running it and running it well! Continued good training for you I hope and like I said, hope it warms up so you can get outside for a run sometime (before May ;-))

Gregory (Pudov)

GB said...

I agree with this post, Ron. I have changed my eating habits since the first week of January and have dumped 8 pounds as of today. I eat probably 1,000 calories less per day than I did in the last few months of '07 and I feel so much better. My back doesn't ache much anymore and I just feel stronger. I love to eat, so I will never starve. But I am watching my portions now and it has helped.