Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Hard Core in Winter.

Like most male runners I know, I scoffed at the advise proffered me regarding the implementation of core-strengthening exercises into my running routine. "Why," I would ask "should I waste time building up my stomach and back muscles when all of the running muscles are already getting daily exercise?"

For years, this logic served me well. When a rash of injuries hits, however, one begins to question EVERYTHING including non-running fitness. My PT now has me doing a battery of core stabilizing exercises and I'm making good progress.

Is this improving the pain in my back or my knee and PF/sciatica problems? No. So it seems to be a trial and error process. It might be that I drove too long with poor alignment and now the faulty wheels are, though-aligned, still faulty. If that's the case only time will help(and that r-word, rest).

But this much I will say: I can do far more push-ups, crunches and all of the other core-related activities with less effort than before. And, this will be a permanent part of my training routine from now on.

There has been snow on the ground for 5 days and soon there will be enough for some nifty winter X-training. It's 23f for a high today, and going down by the day, so I've got to look for the pony, right?

4 comments:

go annie said...

Yes, it does all sound like trial and error. But you've got to figure, a stronger core can't hurt.

When do you break-out those cross country skis?

Ron said...

I think I'm going with snowshoeing, Annie. Besides my back, I've got a history of shoulder troubles that make sliing, esp. downhill, too risky. Ask anyone who's dislocated (fully) a shoulder. We're squeemish sbout slippery surfaces. I gave up triple jumping in college because of it.
I get snow shoes soon!!!

Alexandra said...

I hope you will enjoy snowshoeing! It can be quite a workout. Out here in Calgary, the interest is growing 10 fold!

Bert said...

Ron,

Keep at it with the core and ab workouts, I think over time they will definitely start to positively impact your running.