Thursday, November 20, 2008

My much-awaited MRI results were something of a dissapointment. There's nothing terribly wrong, nothing that's defying age. In short, my lumbar vertebrae are all bulging mildly, but the bulging is considered "unremarkable." Typical for late 40s. So it would appear that treatment is up to me.

The problem is that the pain is sometimes very "remarkable" to me. I know what it's like to have a pain-free back, and I know what it's like to have chronic pain.

As for running, no one's saying to stop. It doesn't hurt when I run, so I'll run. But my experience over the last two years suggests that running much volume at one time (long runs) seems to be closly related to the pain, spasms, assemetry and all else that's been sidelining me lately. Then again, so does taking out the trash...

I'm bothered because it feels nice to have a treatment plan for an injury. "Do this, then that, take these and you'll be better by this date..." That's what I like to hear. But no. I'm in trial and error mode. I could stop running, that might help but I'd go crazy without my daily exercise. I will, of course, do some winter sports this year. But nothing an replace running.

For now, its hit the treadmill. It's softer that frozen 12 degree-F pavement. So away I go.

5 comments:

Alexandra said...

How can something that is "terribly nothing" cause such terrible pain! That surprises me that they say the condition of your vertebrae is typical for late 40s.

tww1980 said...

Hello Ron.......thought I would stop by.....I think the the good news is there is nothing wrong....but the bad news is there is nothing wrong.....or is it......running and the body are strange thins....a few days back I read where NB4 mentioned he had back pain for a long time in his 40s and thought it would be something he had to deal with for the rest of his running life......and the it went away.....about 20 years ago when I was in my late 20s I was pulling/straining my back like clockwork every few months and dealing with some pain....even decided to stretch and I am/was a non stretcher....anyway my problems vanished also as fast as the y appeared and I have not had any back problems since the 80s.....hang in there pal.....my guess is that this will pass also without a clue as to why.

Bert said...

Ron, hi

It would have been preferable to get a clear 'verdict' but the good news is that there is nothing terribly wrong... If you continue to strengthen your core and abs I bet you will see some (more) improvement soon. Any thoughts about chiropractic? I used to be very dubious but that is one area where they can really be helpful.

go annie said...

Ron,

I'm icing my back as I write this :) I think Bert is right on about strengthening the core. Also, stretching is good too as my doctor recommended.

Again, this is all trial and error. But I think all these things will make us stronger runners in the long run.

Anonymous said...

Hey Ron,

Just feeling your pain (or so to speak). Hang in there and keep the faith. Something will give eventually. I battled for close to 2 years trying to figure out why I kept breaking. After much tenacity I may have figured it out. In the end you will find a way. There's always the will, right?