Tuesday, July 15, 2008


Gillies Lake may look like any one of a couple dozen lakes I ran around back in Minneapolis, but here in Timmins it's a crowned jewel. As far as I know, it's really the only place to go for a walk or picnic or run in the city area. Of course, there are only around 30 days a year where you might want to do anything besides running due to the cold weather and incessant winds at the lake.

Today, it was raining and 54 when I decided to go for a 3-mile tempo run at the lake. The path is not fast, due to its gravel composition and windiness, but on a funky July day like today it's good for running since it was likely to be uncrowded. Still there were some folks clogging up the path by walking three abreast as well as the proverbial duck feeders.

<<<"don't feed me on the path"




So, with a few "excuse me"s along the way I took a fast(sort of) run around the lake 2.1 times which makes around three miles. I felt like sludge running to the lake (2.8 miles from home)and trotted back to make for a nice 8.7 mile session.

What gets me is the way I feel so much better when I run fast. I really like getting into a little O2 debt and stretching out. Of course, we can only do that for so long, hence the speedwork. BUt there's only one regulation track in town, and it's always locked. I believe for a fee you can run on it, but I've never seen it in use. Anyway, I'll work on going a little faster a little longer to get the most out of my miles.

1 comment:

Bert said...

Ron, sounds like you did pretty well despite the conditions and the duck feeders... We don't have any of those at the high school track where I do my usual Tuesday pm mile repeats, the only problem is the walkers who insist on trudging around the track in the inside lane...