Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Run on different surfaces to preserve the legs. It works!.

Since it's been pouring rain, I decided to take my run inside on the treadmill. I don't mind running in the rain, but drivers around here seem to assume the road is theirs solely on such days. But hitting the treadmill is smart for we of the master's mentality (and physicality)anyhow. It's a chance to run on a soft surface and go a little faster without the turns, and downhills that don't do a body good.

Don't get me wrong, an hour on the TM is like an hour at the dentist. No TV program or music soundtrack can diminish the boredom, but 1X/week or two at the most is OK and your joints will thank you. Today, I broke the hard/easy principal by doing 15 minutes of tempo work a day after a 9.5 mile run just over marathon pace. But being on the TM made it feel intense but not punishing on the legs. So I'll keep doing some of my speed on the TM and some elsewhere. My knees appreciate it!

The Tempothon Run:

I've gone hard two days in a row, which is rare, but with the TM it's easier on the joints so I have more lattitude. I do a sort of tempo/ marathon pace combo: the TEMPOTHON PACE. I'll w/up for 3 miles at 8:20 pace, then go 2.5 miles at AT pace(HM/pace) which is around 6:35, then I'll go another three at 7:10 pace. My assertion is that you get many of the benefits of a longer tempo run, since at near-MP, your HR still stays up in the AT range, even though you're running at a more comfortable pace. I noticed this on my HR monitor years ago. That's why it's really valuable to run a few miles after doing a hard speed session--you still get the benefits while cooling do. Long tempo runs at AT pace are too much like races, and require more recovery.

4 comments:

Bert said...

My experience with different surfaces has been mixed. One season I tried to run mostly on a dirt track - there is one not far from where we live. My legs were ok but I suffered from several calf injuries, probably - at least partly - caused by the uneven track & grassy areas with holes, bumps etc. The next year I ran almost exclusively on smooth asphalt: hardly any calf injuries. In my opinion sufficient rest is key: running too hard every day, no matter the surface, and you're looking for trouble. Mix in plenty of recovery runs after hard workouts and you'll be ok. You already know this, but I guess it bears repeating.

Good running!

Bert said...

Uhh actually I meant to say dirt TRAIL, not track...

TiredMamaRunning said...

So true....mixing up the surfaces keeps me healthier, for sure! And I'm a wee pup, just turning trackmaster/international Masters age in a month. I notice less tweaks and pains with a combo of paved road/trail, trail and treadmill running.

I like your tempothon run, too. Will have to try that.

go annie said...

Ron, that's a real interesting strategy in the tempothon pace. I'll have to try that sometime. Have you ever considered reversing the tempo and mp run?

This probably wouldn't be as effective in the recovery process, but I would assume it would still be easier on your body than a true tempo run. Plus, you're training your body to push harder when it's fatigued the most.

Then, how about throwing a bear in there somewhere in the last mile or so to really help pick things up? I think that would help me. What do you think? :)