Saturday, July 5, 2008


Good news--bad news.

I found a nice semi-abandoned road that traverses a forest area in the hills. It'll be great for some of the 20-milers I'll start doing later this month. There are two lakes on the path, some really nice out of the way houses and a good possibility of seeing wildlife.

Unfortunately, I really only planned on doing a 12-13 miler this weekend to help my legs regain their bounce. Well...like most explorers before me I went longer than planned and was out over 16 miles. Also, the terrain is never flat. There are lots of grades that made my tired old knees and hip flexors--yes we guys use them too--feel the fire then the nasty,"I must be 90 years-old" feeling. But I'll adapt. It's not Pikes' Peak. Besides, if I ever do run a hilly marathon like Boston, it will help. Well maybe, Jan-April it might be for X-country skiing only.

In the meantime, I've got a nice figure 8 course with a bathroom and drinking fountain I pass 4X on each run. It's always nice to have a clean, rarely used WC on the path...

But I'm more likely to see a bear on today's path. And I like the bears!

1 comment:

Alexandra said...

It sounds like you have found a gold mine!

Beware the bear!