Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Recovery blues.
It seems in just a few short years, my ability to recover from hard running has waned. This, I don't like. Now, when I do a long run I can still feel it two days later, on Monday. Then if I do an easy run on Monday, the next day I have trouble doing any kind of speed... Argh!

POSSIBLE CAUSES
  1. Too much mileage? In past years, I thought I was running 50 mpw, but now, after remeasuring with GPS, it was more like 42mpw. While here in 2008, I'm older and going 58 real mpw...so maybe I'm just plain old beat-up.
  2. Too fast? In light of the above, it follows that my pace is faster on easy runs then it used to be. I may average 8:05/mile, but the first two are in around 18:00, which means I'm well under eight for 5-6 miles...not really recovery pace.
  3. Too much running alone? Back in the Cities, I ran with two groups. It took my thoughts off any small pains. Now, I run alone nearly all of the time, due to location.

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS

  1. Vary the surface. Running more is fine at this level. But I've got to mix it up: more dirt, treadmill, grass as well as asphalt.
  2. Stretch and be warm. Before running hard, be sure the muscles are ready. And make easy days real easy.
  3. Race more to be around other runners. Also call those in the area who are at the same level. It's not convenient, but it can reboot the spirit to run with a friend.

Some might suggest SRDs. They don't seem to help me any more than an easy 4-5 mile day. I rest when I'm too busy to run. But I know, sooner or later I'll need to start X-training in lieu of running on some days...BUT NOT YET!!!

1 comment:

go annie said...

Hey Ron, those all sound like really good ideas. I think taking it easy on easy days really helps me recover for my next work-out.

Maybe you can hook-up with some slower runners on your easy days to help reel you in! For me, that would be my dog. He's slow as dirt :)