Monday, October 8, 2007

Burn-out

Runner's Rorld discussion topic:

As with a lot of forumites here, I always have a marathon goal during training. But failing to meet that goal sometimes feels like failure, pure and simple.

I'm starting to believe that this attitiude makes training and racing unhealthy both physically and emotionally.

Personally, I have never run a marathon where I didn't think I had a shot at a PR, and don't think I could put myself through 26.2 just for "fun." I admire those who can run dozens of marathons, but I'm not one of them.

The heat-related dissapointments of the past weekend remind me the last three marathons I've run, where weather and/or injuries have left me short of my goals. For me, it's been three years of trying to hit the three-hour mark.

At this point, after trying to train on a poor base that was injury plagued, I've thrown in the towel for the fall. There's been too much pain all summer because of back and hip troubles.

Anyone else ever get sick of the all or none thinking? BQ or bust? 4-hours, 3-hours?

I feel like it can easily become too consuming. Here I am running 60mpw in pain--not major pain, but enough to make me feel ten years older in the mornings.

I know it sounds whiney, but I have a love/hate running thing going now... anyone else?

No comments: