Friday, October 5, 2007

A discussion opinion:16 and marathoning?

I think those opinions that under 18s shouldn't run marathons are bogus. 16 year-olds can run nearly world-class times in any track event, and they train hard to do it. They also get their bodies pummled in football practice and hockey games and I don't hear anyone objecting to that.

Everyday I hear runners whining about the sad state of American distance running. Back in the 1960s we had HS runners who were great at every event--Jim Ryun, Licquori(sp), Pre, Lindgren, and a bunch of teen-age stars who ran marathons as well. It took 35 years for another runner to come near Ryun's 3:55 mile. Anyway...I digress.

If you are healthy and train for a marathon, it's fine. Not easy, though. Also it's a good example to those sitting at their Play Station eating Ding Dongs and jacking up future health care costs due to incipient cardiac problems.

Many doctors don't like to advise marathons to anyone in my experience: a marathon is a physical ordeal at any age. The others, however, often run themselves.

Go for it...but be smart. Read up. I ran one at 14. Now, 33 years later I'm running more.

Good for you, and good luck.

No comments: