Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Last Marathon?

It's possible that I've run my last marathon. At least for a while. Last Saturday, I did a reality check and came to the conclusion that I dread the thought of running Toronto on the 14th. The reason? I'm not in shape to run well. The thought of hitting a 3:18 or 3:29 or whatever alarms me. That's no good.

I mean, the whole point of marathoning is to train, do your best, and feel a sense of accomplishment after finishing. But after my marathon in Seoul last November, I felt cheated by the warm temps, and my 3:28 was an embarassment to me--even though it was a Boston qualifier.

When I came home I figured "now I can train and race and hit 3:00 on the marathon." But then I was injured (by doing speedwork too soon) and had to take a month off from training in May. Now, after training a lot in July, August and September my body feels like a wreck and my life seems out of joint.

So...I'll continue running. But as for marathons, who knows?

I won the 41-50 age in our 5K here on Sunday in 19:07. Not close to my best 5K times but it is nice to race in your home area--and win!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.