Saturday, October 20, 2007

Second life of Running--part 3

After my first marathon I made a resolution not to regain any weight. So, I kept running. In the fall Minnesota temps it was easier for me to go faster. All summer, I'd run at 9-10 minute pace, with walk breaks. Now it was different.

I started going closer to 8:00/mile pace, and for Halloween I ran my first ever 5K in 20:10. For the first time, I was near the front part of the pack, coming in the top 10%. The converters said I could go 3:20 or so, based on that time. So, I set an early goal of a Boston Qualifier (3:20) for the next season.

Six weeks later, I ran another 5K with sub 20 on my mind. I felt strong during the race and actually passed the first woman on the final stretch, finishing in 19:12.
I was shocked at the improvement. For the first time, I felt like my old running ability was still somewhere deep in my legs, just starting to appear. The 3:58 and the 45:32 10K were no longer big achievements for me. The best was ahead.

No comments: