Thursday, October 18, 2007

Runner's World post...

I go along with Squirrel on the burn-out issue. I was shocked in high school to see how many of our top runners gave it up after a couple of seasons--myself included.

If a high schooler wants to do marathons, however, I would not say no. Like gymgirl, they probably have more maturity than I did at that age. Seems like a good example for the other kids if the motivation is right.

Also, if the 15-18 year-old kids who are doing 4:20 miles want to do the distance, we might be able to talk about some new home-grown elites the way we used to with Frank Shorter, Bill Rogers, etc.

But the burn-out issue is very real. Most of the marathoners I run with didn't even run in high school. Where are the ones who did run? A lot are doing something else...

No comments: