Thursday, October 4, 2007

T minus 10

It's ten days before the Toronto marathon (10-14) and I'm trying to stay fit while healing. The taper is supposed to be a little calm before the storm; a chance to heal-up those tired legs from the extensive training you've put them through.

For me it's damage control. After being hurt and off my running feet in April, my conditioning was lousy. In essence, I had to start from scatch. So I did. Now, after 12 weeks where I went from 30 miles a week to 65, my body feels beat up and in need of some rest.

Yesterday we had a wind storm that blew the roof off our apartment...and I saw it. I was starting a run, felt a 70mph gust and decided to take a rest day. I turned around, felt a pounding gust and saw our roof lifted like a napkin, over the top of the building and crash into the parking lot in a million pieces. The yellow foam insulation is covering the lawn like large fallen leaves.

So...today I went 8.5 miles after my rest day and still feel stale. I never feel rested from tapering until race day. On Saturday there's a 5K here. In Timmins, you race when there's a race. We're 4 hours from any other city big enough to host a race.

Maybe I can win my division!

No comments: