Sunday, April 20, 2008

For the first time in 2008, I ran long today. Not too long, just 14 miles, but nonetheless, I had the "good sore" feeling after the run. As I've said in previous posts, I've been treadmill running all winter, weaning myself off over the last two weeks.
The result? Faster miles but some sore muscles and joints unused to the impact. Today's run was a good example. My overall pace was around 7:30/ mile for 11.6 miles, with the last 5 at around 7:05 pace, but I felt a twinge here, a pain there. All in all, however, it was not a hard effort and it give me confidence that I can build into some fast races soon. But I've got to stay off that treadmill and build up my tolerance to the pounding of street running.

The lawns here are sand colored and little is green, but at least it's warm out--57F--and the sun shines for us today. I'm planning on a half marathon in two weeks and again in 4 weeks. I'll be ready in four weeks...as for two, we'll see. It's a 3.5 hour drive away. I'm itching to race, but it might just be smarter to wait for the ING Ottawa in mid-May. I'll see how the training goes.

Tomorrow, I'll trace many friend's Boston efforts. Good running to all!

No comments: