Friday, April 11, 2008

How stupid am I?

Today I ran 10.5 miles outside. I'm trying to run on the streets more than on the treadmill, and I'd planned a 10-plus miler this weekend.

But hey, why not today? My computer said 25 degrees out, but often those readings are an hour old. The wind was howling, but we live in a windy gulch where the wind often sounds worse than it is. The sky was gray, but it often brightens up in the mornings. Besides an inspector was supposed to check out something in our place, and I didn't particularly want to be around when readings were taken.

So, on went the thin running pants, the thin fleece over shirt, the thin gloves and my thin hat. Then, out I went on a there-and-back run. It's April right? How cold can it feel once the old engine is warmed-up? In Timmins, 25 degrees and windy is nothing compared with an average January day; on average January days, however, I ran on the treadmill rather than on a rural highway with no windbreaks and snow blowing like the backdrop for Dr. Zhivago.

At the 6-mile mark my fingers were losing feeling and the tears on my face were frozen. My ipod ceased working: something it does out of anger when it's feeling abused. But that's OK, I could no longer hold on to it anyway. I put it and the icy earphones away.

But it's APRIL! Right?...

Anyway, I finish up the 10.3 in around 1:22, which is good considering how slow I felt out there. So I get in the bathtub and start thawing out. KNOCK, KNOCK..."Inspector here!" Since I was indisposed he said he'd come back. 3.5 hours later, no inspector. I guess I fell to the bottom of the queue. The good news is that I'm thinking I'll get to keep my nose. It's warmed up to 27 with a chill around 10f. In three days it'll feel like spring again...Where is that cursed inspector, anyway?
workout 10.3 miles at 9:20 first 1.5 miles, 7:48 next 8.7

1 comment:

Willis said...

I keep forgetting how stalwart most of the marathoners like yourself are for braving the freeze to train. I have no idea how I'd pull it off - it would actually have been dangerous for me to crash at mile 14 on a planned 21 miler and walk the last 7 in wet, soggy clothes!