Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Now that I'm running outside, I've got to keep my easy days easier. It's so natural for me to start at 8 minute pace and two miles later be going 7:20 or so. But my legs will never recover from the longer or faster runs at that pace. There are IT-band aches, periformis pains, knee problems, etc. at the beginning of each run. And they don't all go away once warmed up. So recovery runs are crucial.

Today, after nearly a week of running faster than planned on successive days, I forced myself to start at 9 minute pace, and take a walk break every 10 minutes for 30 seconds. Still, if you take away the walking time and first mile, the pace was 8 minutes for most of the run--less than a minute slower than MP. So I'm still working at getting the recovery pace down.

Tomorrow, I'll do a tempo run at HM pace. I wish I had more outdoor time to prepare for the 5/4 half marathon.

No comments: