Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Starting to Train:

Now that the streets of Timmins are clear of snow(I won't go so far as to say "clean") and I'm able to get in some longer runs, things are changing. Now, like any distance runner I'm able to run long outside. This weekend I'll probably go 12 miles or so on Saturday. This makes it possible to get in the proper variety of workouts.

All winter I ran 7.25 miles a day on the treadmill without exception. Some runs were faster than others, but there was little variation. Now, I can go easier on some days and longer on others. My body's nearly adjusted to running outside. It took nearly 10 outdoor runs to get to this point. But yesterday's 8-plus miler at sub 8:00speed outside followed by today's TM 7.5 miler with 4 at sub 7:00 pace gives me the confidence to start up with marathon training for the fall.

Now if it would just warm up a little...

1 comment:

rundangerously said...

hi ron,

been meaning to stop by and say welcome home from your vacation. now that seems ages ago! good luck returning to the roads now that weather has warmed up.

it's ironic that with this nice stretch of running weather, i'm stuck watching the swelling go down on my leg. but, hopefully, will be able to eek out 26 miles in boston. still iffy, but don't need to decide until next week.

frank